The Value of your Referral Network
by Judith Bowman on 11/07/18
Question: How do you get the (impossible) meeting with the much-sought-after potential new client?
A: Work through the mutually respected third party to secure an introduction.
In fact, the only way to get the much sought-after meeting with the highly prized person the world over is through someone you (both) know. And, how do you most effectively expand your repertoire of contacts? ... other than via the social network?
Answer: through Networking!
Networking is: the single most effective means of reaching the greatest number of qualified individuals within the shortest amount of time while providing you the opportunity to write the most business.
Although central to your mission, thus far, your connector merely enables passage. Your journey - and the real work now begins to portray yourself as "meeting-worthy" and actually get the much-coveted face-to-face meeting.
Work the Connection
Once you have identified the "mutually respected third party," work your connection.
- Ask your connector if you may use their name; never assume you may.
- Ask honestly if they are willing to speak well on your behalf.*
* Never assume that because you know them or happen to have met their acquaintance
that the connector will speak well of you.
- Ask the connector if you may keep them apprised of your progress. If so, copy your connector in initial correspondence, referencing their name in the body of your email/letter.
Once on the Telephone with Your Target/Connection
The way you conduct yourself on this initial call is critical. It matters not who you know or how you got through to Ms. X now because unless you project well on the telephone you will not advance.
Initial Overtures via Telephone
- Research your target.
- Customize your "tagline" and practice in advance to confidently articulate.
- Ask pre-planned probing questions specific to their needs.*
*Remember, the number one rule in sales: Identify the client need and fulfill that need!
AVOID: colloquialisms and slang; close the "-ing's."
Top Telephone Tips:
- Stand when you speak.
- Use a mirror and pretend your reflection is the other person.
- Smile; project energy! A smile is "heard;" positive energy is contagious.
- Ask if you may send them your (company) information.
Should i.e. a proposal or anything customized or additional be requested:
Ask, "By WHEN would you like to receive this?" and honor the time specified.
Premium subscribers receive more of this valuable information PLUS helpful hints. We would be honoured to have you as a Premium Subscriber.