Protocol Consultants International
- Eat something first!
- Obtain a copy of the guest list and familiarize yourself with:
- attendees' names... and practice pronouncing names!
- internal company news i.e. an impending merger/acquisition, new product release, etc.
- Wear appropriate attire (dark colors) and a jacket with large pockets (ladies) - one for incoming and one for outgoing cards.
- Have a "tag line" prepared specific to this group.
- Upon arrival, go to the restrooms - freshen, pop a breath mint and wash hands thoroughly to eliminate "clammy hands," (the Kiss of Death!)
- Name badges belong (high) on your right side out of consideration for those trying to view, learn, remember and use your name.
- Make your entrance: Exude positive energy! ... Remember, we as human beings are naturally drawn toward positive energy, positive people! Let others feel your presence!
- Hold glasses in your LEFT hand (always with a cocktail napkin!) leaving your right hand free to shake hands.
- Approach singles, groups of 3's or more.
- Invest 5-7 minutes per person and then move on.
- Disengage tactfully and provide an introduction before leaving (the proverbial pass-off!)
- Introduce yourself to senior level people you normally would not have the opportunity to meet.
- Actively engage in artful Small Talk and conversation skill, remembering your preparation and research for each conversation launch.
- Always ask before assuming someone wants your card, "May I offer you my card?"
"May I ask for your card?"
- Make personal notes about the other person to use in subsequent follow-up communication.
- Walk whomever you are speaking with not only to the door, but outside the door as they are leaving to take advantage of "real talk" to advance the relationship; thank them for attending.
- Send a brief email note of thanks, after having identified they are an e-culture person/company, ... and follow-up with a personal, hand-written note the next day or within 48 hours. Clearly, the longer you wait, the less impact the gesture holds. This provides you with an opportunity to get yourself, your company/brand in front of your target and leave yet another Judy Jones "impression." And, ... 'repetition is reputation!
- Apologize face-to-face … the sooner the better. Show remorse, humility; own it.
- Ask forgiveness. State what you will do going forward.
- Write a personal note; email, text or even a phone call is not as effective.
- Allow time to heal and regain their trust.
- Say, “I’m sorry I made you feel that way because of my words/behavior.”
Literally translated, "T.I.P." means "To Insure Promptness."
The holidays are an ideal time to say "thank you" ... in the ways that matter, to those who have helped us through the year. While holiday tipping for regular service providers is very personal and certainly not mandatory, there are general guidelines:
Regular service providers on whom we have come to trust and rely such as our hair stylist, manicurist or masseuse, babysitter, animal sitter, newspaper delivery person, UPS person, housekeeper, etc., those who help make our lives easier and brighten our day, and deserve to be acknowledged. Rule: the holiday tip should be one week's compensation for that service provider. For example, if you pay your housecleaner $60 per week, write another check for $60 for their holiday bonus.
While some may consider this over the top, there are many who "tip" much more than these basic guidelines. Babysitters and concierges, for example, are tipped as much as $100 to $500 or more, during the holidays. Remember, we trust these individuals, we rely on them, they take care of us/our children, they give us peace of mind, and make our lives easier, better.
Hair stylist, Manicurist, Masseuse - write another check for the same amount or, 20% of your regular hair treatment x 2.
Day care provider - follow the same guidelines, however, this is very personal and, subjective.
Dog walker - follow same guidelines, however, this again, is very personal
Newspaper delivery person - $10 to $20
Postal delivery person: $10 to $20. It is actually illegal to tip the postal carrier any more than $20.
House cleaner - write another check for the same amount.
Valet - $20 - $30
Secretary/Admin - write another check for one week's salary.
*Please note: the Holiday Bonus is an entirely separate issue.
Not to forget:
Day to day regular service providers who i.e. drive you to work every day, make your coffee, pump your gas, the doorman in your building, etc.
*Money need not always be the form of the holiday "tip." While monetary gifts and gift cards are more common during the Holidays, some may not be able to tip or, prefer to gift something other than money.
Options: making something - your specialty craft of expertise, a special framed photo, baked goods, etc. A 'thank you' gesture of gratitude during the Holidays in any form is appreciated. People like to feel appreciated and acknowledged and 'The Holidays' is the perfect time to do so!
What ever gesture you chose, it truly is the thought and gesture, that count!
*A personal thank you note should always accompany the tip.
Even if your card has a pre-written message, write your own note of thanks.
*Black ink is used for strictly professional correspondence. Blue ink reflects warmth. Consider festive holiday colors i.e. red, green or gold is elegant!
It doesn’t get any hotter or more contested than the dialogue between President Obama and President-Elect Trump. Yet, after the most contentious campaign in history, the people of this Democratic Republic have spoken, and as a result, our world leaders have chosen … to show respect, civility and professionalism to our country and the world. In a most cordial, peaceful transfer of power meeting at the White House, together they set a world-class example by which we should all abide.
Americans need to come together and rebuild - our spirit, our core which frankly, needed nurturing long before this impassioned e-lection. The people of this great Republic have always shown unity, strength and resolve in the face of greatest adversity to keep America strong. This very challenging time in our country’s history presents a great opportunity to come together again, to heal, and set an example for our children and the world.
There are only two emotions in the world: love and fear. All positive emotions come from love, all negative emotions from fear.” Elizabeth Kubler Ros. People fear that which they do not know. The violence that has erupted from protestors this week is driven by ignorance and fear … fear of the unknown.
Change is imminent and change is good. However, change can be daunting because it represents the unknown. That said, Trump is the voice for the majority of Americans who clearly want change. We need to acknowledge the fear and strive to come together to heal knowing peace, prosperity and justice will prevail.
Donald Trump is going to be our next president, like it or not. It’s okay to raise our voices but not to indulge in hatred and destruction. Hatred is a negative emotion lead by fear which is destructive. In the name of the greatest Democracy, Americans have a right to protest, but rioters are not expressing “Freedom of Speech.” Anarchy is un-American, unacceptable and will not remedy anything. It is not okay to loot, riot, smash storefronts and cars, spit and beat people up …for expressing their preferences? No.
This is a pivotal time in American history. Our new President-Elect has a tough long road ahead with unprecedented business issues and challenges looming domestically and internationally and he needs our prayers and support. Being destructive and negative breed’s destruction and negativity. Being derisive will not advance us as a country but only retard progress and there is much work to do.
World Peace begins at home and starts with a basic show of respect and civility toward each other - especially our new President-Elect. We need to reunite and support our new President-Elect who, by the way, won.
In his victory speech he said, “to those who have chosen not to support me, I reach out to you and ask for your help so that we can work together and unify our great country.” It’s time to take responsibility and come together. It’s time to show respect for our new President-Elect who is going to be our 45th president. There is a code of respectability that accompanies any president-elect at this time which needs to be honored. As President Obama has said, it’s important "we can come together to face the challenges America faces.” And, as Hillary Clinton told her backers: "We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead."
So let’s give this President-Elect a chance to make America love again, make America respected, make America great and strong again. He cannot do it alone. Help our new President-Elect unite America so this great country can flourish; “United we stand; divided we fall.”
Judith Bowman Executive Director National Civility Foundation
Linda Zecher is the first female president and CEO of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, the nation's most trusted brand in publishing and largest textbook publisher for children.
Mika Brzezinski, co-host of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe" and founder of the
“Know Your Value” movement for women, is the mother of two teen girls, Emili, 19, and Carlie, 17. She is self-described as “a woman who has had a lot of privilege. I came from a prestigious family, and despite the difficulty I gave my parents, somehow they got me educated, cultured and socialized … and it was still hard for me … there were still bumps along the way.”
Read more bout Fabulous Woman, Mika Brzezinski
"I think therefore I am" prompted me to think further about our
ability to actually program our subconscious to redirect our destiny.
We can actually program the subconscious mind to tell ourselves we "are." When we consciously tell the subconscious mind that we feel a certain way, we program our subconscious mind to respond in kind. Anything we want to attract is the result of what we put into our subconscious mind. Once programmed, the subconscious mind responds to whatever is planted; a change in feeling is a change in destiny!
Program What We Want to Attract
If we program negativity or worry, a negative feeling will be created and we experience the destiny of being unhappy, sad, etc., and this will beget negativity and worry. When we consciously shift away from negative thoughts and program the subconscious mind with positives ... e.g. the "I am's" (I am content, I am healthy, I am Fabulous! etc.) our wish will become reality. Because our subconscious mind represents what we ask for, what we want to attract into our life is fundamental.The subconscious mind rules our life. 97 % of everything we do is as a result of the subconscious mind. Moreover, the subconscious mind is impersonal and does not distinguish between what we are feeling versus what is actually happening in our life. Plant the seed, instill the positive thought and ASSUME the positive feeling to be yours.
The subconscious mind is most comfortable in the unconscious state e.g. just as we are about to go into sleep state. Therefore, just as you are getting drowsy, consciously prepare your mind for the next eight (sleeping) hours of marinade. Instructions are sealed when we sleep. We have the power to not only shape and influence, but compose our instructions. Consider how you want to prepare yourself for having your instructions sealed.
To achieve your goals ask yourself the question: How would I feel were my wishes and dreams realized? Then assume this state. Live the feeling of being the one you want to be - of a wish fulfilled in all aspects of your life.
Confidence is that quality that sets people apart… it's difficult to define but easy to detect. Read our latest newsletter to help you learn more about this important attribute. *Also, read our newest feature, Fabulous Women. Our first article explores the life of Massachusetts Lt. Governor Karyn Polito.
- Make appoint of knowing how i.e. the Red Sox are doing.
- Stay up to speed on “Deflategate” and whether it will ultimately tarnish Tom Brady’s legacy.
- There’s 2026 World Cup soccer and FIFA scandal: the world’s most popular game is at the heart of one of the most egregious scandals in sports history.
- Triple Crown Winner American Pharoah (born in Kentucky) has an Egyptian owner, a Mexican Jockey and an American trainer (born in Arizona). Last Winner: Affirmed, 37 years ago (1978,) Seattle Slew, 1977, and the great Secretariat before him 1993.
- NBA finals – the Golden state warriors vs the Cleveland cavaliers. LeBron James played the best in his career history and played his heart out - with a split skull glued together until he could get stitches. Stephen Curry, MVP prevailed and out-shined.